From:
"S.B. Feldman, MD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 17:30:42 EST
Biotechnology Experts Explain Scientific Benefits For Agriculture,
Environment and Consumers

    BOSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 26, 2000--Agricultural biotechnology
allows farmers to use fewer pesticides and holds the promise of preventing
disease affecting millions of people around the world, leading experts in
food and agricultural biotechnology said today.

    At a briefing held in conjunction with BIO 2000, the annual meeting of
the Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO), a diverse panel of experts
that included a scientist, a regulatory expert and a family farmer pointed to
the many human benefits of biotechnology.

    "In developing nations, especially in Africa, millions of people
struggling to provide food for themselves and their families can greatly
benefit from biotechnology," said Dr. C. S. Prakash, professor and director
of the Center for Plant Biotechnology Research at Alabama's Tuskegee
University. "By simply planting a genetically improved seed, people could
protect their crop against loss to disease and insects.

    "Moreover, products like vitamin-A enhanced `golden rice,' developed at
the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, will soon be available to farmers
in the developing world. This can prevent blindness caused by vitamin-A
deficiency in millions of children in countries where diets consist mainly of
rice."

    Dr. Lester Crawford, Director of the Georgetown Center for Food and
Nutrition Policy said the regulation of biotechnology is the most effective,
fail-safe and foolproof of any technology regulated by the FDA.

    "Foods produced with the aid of biotechnology are the most carefully
regulated or scrutinized foods in the history of the nation and the history
of humanity," said Dr. Val Giddings, BIO's vice president for food and
agriculture.

    Steve Wentworth, an Illinois corn and soybean farmer said, "The farming
industry in this country is struggling. Biotechnology has really helped me as
well as many other farmers save time and money because we don't have to use
as many pesticides and herbicides. I save an average of over $50,000 per
year, money that I use to pay for my children's college education and to take
care of other family expenses."

    Participants included:

    -   Dr. C. S. Prakash, Professor and Director, Center for Plant

        Biotechnology Research, Tuskegee University

    -   Dr. Lester Crawford, Director, Center for Food and Nutrition

        Policy, Georgetown University

    -   Steve Wentworth, President, Foundation Earth, corn and soybean

        farmer

    -   Dr. Val Giddings, Vice President for Food and Agriculture,
Biotechnology Industry Organization

    BIO represents more than 900 companies, academic institutions and state
biotech associations in 47 states and 26 nations. BIO members are involved in
the research and development of health-care, agricultural, industrial and
environmental products.

CONTACT:

BIO 2000

Dan Eramian