Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:38:48 -0500
Todd,

You didn't mention your height or your BMI but it would seem that you are
not actually obese, or that you are only borderline obese, and that perhaps
you are close to where I was before I decided to lose weight with Atkins
last year. I started at somewhere around 220+ lbs, which could have been as
much 235 lbs or so (I didn't have a scale at that time). I was wearing size
38 pants and they were extremely tight and uncomfortable. My body fat was
about 30% according to an impedance scale that I bought later, and my BMI
was about 30+. I am now, less than one year later, at BF = 16% and BMI=22.9
at 174 lbs at 6'1". I'm back in size 32 pants for the first time since I was
a teenager.

I lost something between 50 and 70 lbs but I never felt hungry and never
counted calories. For the first time in life I am actually focused now on
finding ways to gain weight, which is a nice problem for me to have after so
many long years of sucking in my stomach. :) My goal is to reach 195 lbs
with BF at or below 15%.

Atkins was my first ever attempt to "go on a diet". I was amazed at how well
it worked for me. I avoided carbs like they were poison at first, which
kicked me deep into ketosis, but I in no way attempted to limit my food
intake. I ate all I wanted of eggs, meat, cheese, etc. My weight spiralled
down easily and rapidly.

I know you have an indifferent attitude about ketosis, and that you've
experimented with it without success, but I'm wondering if you have ever
tried an experiment in which you stayed in a serious state of "deep" ketosis
for an extended period of time, say for example twelve weeks. If not then it
might be something for you to consider if my experience is any indication.

I think I was in state of deep ketosis for at the very least three months
before I started to grant myself any significant liberties to indulge in
carbohydrates. (I also drank a lot of water and took a lot of vitamin
supplements).  I think my success was due largely to the fact that I really
took a very hardline, committed, very-low-carb approach for a few months to
get myself off the old track and onto the new. I don't think I exceeded 40
grams of carbs on any single day for at least 12 weeks. I probably averaged
20 to 30 grams and on a very significant number of days I ate close to zero
carbs. My sense is that by staying in ketosis for an extended period, I
managed to break the cycle of carb addiction or whatever it was that was
causing problems for me. It seems that somehow my entire approach to food is
different now. I recognize that ketosis may not have not have been the
technical cause of my results but my sense is that it was a real measure of
the cause.

Of course heavy ketosis is probably not very healthy for the long term but
that wasn't the point. I'm now doing this paleodiet thing with the idea that
I can eat healthy this way for the rest of my life.

I still haven't any idea how many calories I eat in a typical day.

-gts