From:
ardeith l carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 17:37:59 -0500
On Wed, 22 Mar 2000 15:52:06 EST "S.B. Feldman, MD" <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> March 22, 2000
> RECKONINGS / By PAUL KRUGMAN
> Natural Born Killers

<drastically snipped......>

> Hence the strange asymmetry between the treatment of dietary
> supplements --
> which often do real harm, but are "natural" -- and GM foods, which
> can do
> enormous good, but are "unnatural." Too bad that the wretched of the
> earth
> will, as usual, pay the price for the fantasies of the affluent.

Humans have been "genetically modifying" their food ever
since they selected the fattest beans to save and plant.  My
objection isn't to modifying food.....it is to inserting DNA
from one form of life into another and then telling people
it is safe to eat.......this didn't prove to be true in the case
of soy DNA inserted into some other food......people
who were sensitive to soy had bad reactions.........and I
most heartily object to such things as "Roundup Ready"
seeds.......this threatens the natural diversity of life.....
it may provide more rice or whatever.....but instead of
hundreds of varieties of rice....you wind up with one....
which someone else pointed out recently........

I'm not at all trustful of the government, industries,
or drug companies...........alligators and other critters
are having problems due to the estrogen-mocking
plastics used in many items that wind up in landfills
or in the swamps and affect the animal world.........
if such things can affect an alligator, what effect
would they have on a child who habitually drinks
water from a plastic cup?   We don't know.    And
the companies that make these things don't know.
Not long ago there was a lot of hoorah about lower
sperm counts among American men.....which some
researchers blamed on the estrogen-mocking plastics
that are everywhere.....lining pop cans, lining beer
cans.....lining vegetable cans.......of course our
noble government and the FDA said there was
no connection between these lower sperm counts
and the estrogen-mocking chemicals......funny....
that whole issue seems to have just gone away.....

They have lied to us again and again.........I won't
believe a word they say until they prove they
have done long term studies......say twenty year
studies.....on the effects of the substances they
are putting into the bodies of our children.

Remember DDT???   That was a "good" development
of our industrial nation, wasn't it?

Frogs and salamanders are disappearing from the
forests all over the world.....both frogs and salamanders
have permeable (sp?) skins....they can absorb stuff
through their skins........What are they absorbing that
is causing them to disappear?    And why are so many
now being hatched with serious defects?   Something
in the water, maybe?   Something in the air?   And if
something in the water or air can harm a frog or
salamander, what is it doing to our children?

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.