From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 10:19:44 -0500
On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, matesz wrote:

> Todd Moody said:
>
> > >When I was born (1953) I turned out to be completely allergic to
> > >my mother's breast milk, and to cow's milk as well.
>
> It is possible that what the doctor called ALLERGIC, was not an ALLERGIC
> reaction; instead, it was colic and extreme discomfort caused by certain
> foods your mother ate.

Well, I was speaking to her last night and asked her what the
symptoms were.  She said I became very rigid and had difficulty
breathing.  This happened while we were still in the hospital.
As she tells it, they tried different approaches, including
having her express the milk into a bottle, in case I was somehow
having trouble with the actual nursing process.  She doesn't
remember the particulars of what they tried, except that soy
formula was the only thing (besides glucose and water) that I
accepted without this scary reaction.

> If she had changed what she ate, my guess it that
> your discomfort would have been alleviated.

It's possible.  Also, I don't know if they tried giving me
someone else's breast milk.  That might have been a useful
experiment.

> Like Alexs I simply cannot believe that you were allergic to your mother's
> milk.

I don't see why it is so unbelievable.  Many people are allergice
to foods that are perfectly wholesome and nutritious for the rest
of us.  Celery, for example, is not an uncommon allergen;
strawberries, too.

Todd Moody