From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 06:38:43 -0500
On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Alyne wrote:

> Todd:
> What do you recommend for weight loss? Can you provide
> a sample of a paleo weight loss menu? You recommend
> calorie deficit -- are there any foods that are more
> or less likely to enhance weight loss?
> Thanks.

The goal is to select paleo foods that provide maximum appetite
control.  But appetite seems to be a complex phenomenon, affected
by numerous factors.  A drop in blood sugar will generally
trigger hunger, which is why low-glycemic and low-carb foods are
preferred, since they tend to keep blood sugar from rising too
high in the first place.  I think inactivity also stimulates
appetite.  Many of us are not inclined to overeat while we are
busy during the day, but in the evening when we are reading or
watching television, we suddenly feel the urge to eat.  Whether
this be called true hunger or a craving, the result of yielding
to it is the same.

The caloric deficit should not exceed 1,000 cal/day, and probably
should be less, depending on your body weight.  To burn a pound
of body fat, you need to rack up a deficit of 3,500 calories, but
if you create too much of a deficit your metabolism will slow
down (and you will lose muscle, slowing it down further), making
weight loss more difficult.  Moderation is crucial.

The truth is, I wish I knew more about this.  Personally, I find
that most fresh fruit is quite self-limiting.  For example, an
apple is about 80 calories.  Although some people don't like to
use fruit when they are trying to lose weight, because it kicks
them out of ketosis, I find that I *never* want a second apple,
and a single one blunts my appetite for some time.  On the other
hand 80 calories' worth of, say, walnuts is nothing.  For a
snack, I can easily eat a half cup, which is about 400 calories.
So if I'm in need of a snack, the apple is really a better choice
for me.  The problem, of course, is that I would rather eat the
walnuts, or the leftover chicken wings, or the other nice fatty
foods that are kicking around from paleo meals.

An easier solution, perhaps, is to declare the kitchen closed
after supper.  For me, these hours are the caloric danger zone.
A real paleo person would be sleeping during most of this time, I
suppose.

Todd Moody