Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 00:24:39 +1000
To find what hardware you have, you can open up "Device manager" (right
click "My Computer" -> Property -> Device manager).
from the info you gave, I can only see the following hardware in your
box:
Chipset: SiS chipset (mode unknow)
mobo: Compaq modified SiS mobo
Sound: Crystal chip (mode unknow, again) based sound (I bet it is
onboard sound)
graphics: since most SiS based mobo use onboard graphics, I bet your one
is onboard SiS based graphics chip (usually don't work with openGL)
Modem: as windows said, a internal winmodem based on popular LT chip

Add 64M of more RAM may help to speed up your system a bit, but I think
the CPU is the biggest bottleneck. I think a 2nd harddirve is a good
idea if you keep important data on it, so in case something happened,
you can re-do your system without lossing data.
The "suspend" key may have something to do with the lock-up problem, you
can try to go to Control Panel -> Power -> to disable some power saving
features. It may solve the problem.

We really need to know what "Device Manager" tells you to identify
hardware in your box.

Jun Qian

sgaber wrote:

> I have a few questions about hardware.
>
> My computer is a HP Pavilion 6350, with a 333MHz K-6, 64
> Mb Ram, 6Gb HD, SiS 5513 Dual PCI IDE controller, 56k LT Win
> modem, 24x CD drive Crystal PnP audio system. IWhat I want to know is
> how to soup this thing up.  When I
> first started SETI, it did a WU in about 20 hours in
> screen-saver mode, blank set to 1 minute.  Now, with V 2.04,
> it takes between 25-27 hours.  Would adding another 64Mb Ram
> help?  How about a bigger hard drive? What if I took my
> master's thesis, several hundred  Word files, Flight
> Simulator, etc., off and put them say, on Zip drive
> cartridges?  Or maybe a second hard drive? How do I find out
> what kind of chip set it has, how fast it is running, and
> what else is compatible with my system?
>
> Also, every now and then, the keyboard will lock up.  The
> mouse works, but none of the keys, nor the caps lock and num
> lock lights.  The only way I can type is to shut it down and
> re-boot. The keyboard has 3 buttons, labeled "Internet,
> Suspend and Information."  I thought the suspend feature was
> the cause, but I don't think the buttons are connected.
> They've never seemed to do anything when pushed.

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html