From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 20:07:36 -0800

These are a bit harder to work with than regular wheat ones, but with
some patience make a great cookie that you wouldn't know "from the real
thing."  I use a reusable, silicone coated, parchment paper to both roll
out the dough on and to line my cookie sheets.  It is like SilPats, but
much thinner and can be cut to fit any pan.  Nothing sticks to it.  I use
a thin, flat bowl scaper to gently lift the cookies to the sheet or just
roll out on the parchment, remove the excess, and transfer the entire
paper on the baking sheet.

Kathy

(Alyssa 3/15/97 - dairy, egg, corn, grape, unidentified EA's;
 Thomas 5/30/99 - dairy, egg, corn, grape, wheat/gluten, soy, citrus
(mostly orange), tomato, walnut)

GF Gingerbread Cookies

3/4 c margerine
1/4 c dark molasses
1 c light brown sugar
3 c gf flour mix*
1 tsp xantham gum
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 c water
sweet rice flour for rolling

Cream margerine and sugar.  Beat in molasses.  Sift dry ingredients into
separate bowl.  Stir into creamed mixture alternately with water.  Mix
thoroughly once everything has been added.  Dough should be soft and will
be sticky.  Refrigerate dough for at least one hour.  Using sweet rice
flour, roll portions of dough on plastic wrap or parchment paper to about
1/4".  Cut and decorate as desired.  Bake in 350F oven for 8-20 minutes
depending on size.  Cookies should just be getting browned.  Bake longer
for crispier cookies.  Cool slightly on sheet b4 removing to rack to cool
completely.  Store in airtight containers.

GF Flour Mix

1 c brown rice flour
1 1/4 c white rice flour
1/4 c potato starch
2/3 c tapioca starch
3/4 c sweet rice flour
1/3 c arrowroot starch
2 tsp xantham gum

Sift together twice and mix well.  Can be used 1:1 for all purpose wheat
flour.  Additional xantham gum may be needed in some recipes.