From:
Lisa Wicklund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 12:06:42 EDT

Hi Everyone:

I am not sure if I have told you about my nagging residual problem of  Celiac
Disease. When standing up, my neck starts to constrict very tightly and my
feet turn purple with a kick up in heart beat. I get out of breath and weak.
This has been going on for the past two and a half years now. I have had
three major operations: one in 7/97 and a combined or double surgery 2/99. I
lost alot of blood. The second hemoglobin was low like 9.5 or something.
About six months after that, ferratin level was somewhat low. My hematacrit
is always slightly below the low normal range and platelets 20,000 below the
low normal.

I have been working with Dr Joseph Murray on the Celiac and unfortunately got
him involved with this process as well. He is so thorough and does not want
to leave a stone unturned. However, after returning from Mayo yesterday empty
handed with a CT of the chest and negative results, he is scratching his head
trying to figure out what on earth is going on. He has tested me for
dysautonomia and that was negative as well.  However, he has not looked into
the iron issue yet. This is my question:

Do any of you know of chronic iron disorder that result from Celiac Disease?
My dear husband searched our Merck Medical Manual and came up with a rare
disorder of the esophagus in which there is webbing in the tissues as a
result of severe iron deficiency. This causes constriction and difficulty
swallowing and other problems. My hubby is obstinate and would make a fine
Doc. Now things make alot more sense and with the surgeries, loosing so much
blood plus I am a product of a rare blood combination between my parents, I
think there are some answers here. What do you all think. All answers good
and bad welcome. :>)  I can take it, really????

Have a great day everyone.

Lisa