From:
Troy and Amy Budreau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 11:21:35 -0500

Well I received several responses to my "Females Only" question about
whether or not my abnormal pap smears could be caused by my Celiac
disease.  Several people said they had abnormal paps and several said
they did not have abnormal ones.  There were only 2 people that stated
whether they had the abnormal ones while being gluten free or not.  One
lady said she had them before going GF.  The other said she had them and
she, herself, related it to CD.

I have since gone in for a colposcopy and the biopsy showed the same as
my pap so now I'm on to the next step.  I guess I am glad that it showed
something (it is far from being cancer so I'm not "worried") because the
3 doctors I have been to have said everything "looked" fine.

I also e-mailed a doctor that works for a University in California who
had written a paper on other problems that CD can cause and she replied
stating that she didn't think there was any connection, but wasn't sure.
 She said if I had been truly GF for 3 years like I have she didn't
think it was very likely, but that if I had gotten gluten by some hidden
measures, I.e. eating out, etc (which I don't eat out because I'm still
leering about "trusting" other people besides my immediate family) she
didn't think it would effect the pap smear.

Thanks to everyone who responded!

Amy in Iowa