From:
Brian Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2000 23:40:16 -0500

I am new to the listserv.  My son is 2 1/2 and will be have a blood
test next week to test for Celiac Disease.  Can someone
please tell me the differences between CD and gluten
intolerance or gluten allergy?  These are his symptoms:

--could not drink ANY kind formula until age 10 mos.
    (vomited all kinds)

--breastfed him exclusively for 10 mos. then began to wean
    him to a formula;  even on brestmilk he threw up for
    unexplicable reasons, though not too often

--went from 75 per. on weight at age 3 mos. down to
    5th percentile by age 12 mos.

--bouts w/ diarrhea began at age 10 mos. and have
    progressively become more frequent and severe
    (note:  began table food at and formula at 10 mos.
    cow's milk at 13 mos.)

--moderate case of anemia discovered at 13 mos.
    no longer anemic after iron replacement vitamin

--very irritable starting at 10 mos. but has gotten better

--tested at 10 mos. for milk allergy negative

--stools have been tested; have shown more acid than
    the average stool should

--speech disorder possibly apraxia (comprehension at age
    level but speech at 12-18 mos., a yr. or more behind)
    98% sure he is not autistic

--difficulty gaining weight since age 10 mos.

--when diarrhea worsens appetite drops

--seems overly thirsty; guzzles milk and wh. grape
    juice though I try to limit

--lactose intolerent, possibly casein intolerant

--has a host of allergies

--no one known in family to have CD however

He is currently on rice and soy milk.  I have had him on a
GF diet for brief periods and he actually had solid stools
for the first time during those periods.  Of course, I have had
to put him back on glu. due to the impending test.

What I really want to know is:  what are the differences
between CD, glu. intolerance, and wheat allergy?  Does
glu. int. and allergy obstruct the sm. intestine and villi the
way CD does?  Our pediatrician (GI spec.) says there is no
difference between CD and glu. int.  Out nutritionist says
there is a difference, but could not explain what the differences
are.

I am most concerned with stopping the diarrhea and stimulating
his speech.  He is receiving Sp. therapy once a week.

If CD comes up negative, where should we go next?  If anyone
can help me, I would really appreciate it.  I have found that
I am by far my son's greatest advocate as doctors have down
very little for almost 2 yrs. to help him.

Melinda Thomas, mother to Grant 2:6, possible apraxia and C and Hunter 6
mos.

Texas