Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 2000 12:28:25 -0800

Below are many opinions - almost all negative in regards to aspartame.
Everyone basicallly felt that it is GF but terrible for you.  I think I
am giving it up for good.

In my opinion, aspartame is terrible for everyone.
There are too many unknowns and probably just as
many knowns.  Look it up on the internet, there is
a lot of information.  Too many people ingest much
more "sugar-free, fat-free" foods, because they
"seem" healthier.  Our bodies cannot process many
of the chemicals, that are replacing naturals.
Those of us who are celiacs, have enough problems
with our immune systems being compromised over
the years.  Please continue to research and look
for answers.  Natural is always better.  It's good
that you want to know.

I look forward to your summary.  Remember, this
is my opinion.  I base it on what I have read
and know.

I know that Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi, and Diet Rite are GF.  The Diet Rite
no longer uses aspertame.  They use sucralose I believe which I recently
checked and it is GF.  We no longer use aspartame because of recently
discovered side effects.  My father in law was having dizzy spells and
falling and we discovered that it was the aspartame quite by accident.
Once he got off the aspartame, he hasn't had any more spells.

Aspartame is not for Human consumption AT ALL!!  You might want to read
up on it on the internet before you try it.

It gave me stomach problems, blurred vision, headaches, joint pain, a
terrible memory, shooting pains down my legs as well as numbing in my
legs, among other things.  Yes, I was a diet freak so I consumed way
more than the avereage person.  After I read about aspartame poisoning I
went cold turkey.  ALL the syptoms I discribed above cleared up with in
a six week period, even the numbing in my legs went away.  I have felt
great for the past almost two years now!  Just stick with the real
stuff, your enjoy life more.

If you have more questions on it let me know!

Its ok for celiacs, but it is not good for anyone, and no one should be
ingesting it!

Sorry, but I can't restrain myself from giving this negative response:
aspartame isn't good for anyone!

Someone with whom I work was having headaches for 2 years and her Dr.
tried all kinds of tests and medications until finally she hit a
holistic Dr. who asked her if she was taking any aspartame in drinks or
anything. She was.

He told her to stop taking it and her headaches stopped immediately.
Maybe she was just allergic to it, but .....

aspartame is ok for celiacs but it is not very good to "eat" it too
often! I do not know your choice for drinking light coke but you really
shoule consider to drink the real stuff instead since the light products
are not very healthy at all.

I am a coke addict who has almost stopped drinking it, I did stop but
had to start again since my bloodpressure went really low without it (I
don't drink coffee so...)

Conclusion, there is no gluten in aspartame but it is not excatly
healthy!

When I was first diagnosed with CD 6 years ago, I read in Lifeline that
celiacs should avoid aspartame. I wrote to the company, & they sent me a
written reply that it did not contain gluten. Another instance of Leon
Rottmann trying to make everything we might eat taboo.

i am of the opinion that aspartame isn't ok for anybody.  when raised
the 98.6 degrees, as it is inside the body, it chemically converts to
formaldehyde, which isn't good for anybody.  there are so many people
who are "allergic" to it (that is they experience the symptoms that are
indicative of what happens internally to everyone ingesting it) that i
wouldn't give it to anyone.  sugar, while not nutritive, isn't poison,
it just shouldn't be consumed in great quantities for those watching
their caloric intake.  it's a natural product and the less processed it
is (i.e. raw sugar, or cane juice) the more of the natural nutrients
that are actually retained in it.  aspartame is a chemical, and as far
as i am concerned, a poison. catherine in AZ