From:
Kramer & Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 23:01:21 -0500

Tying together the two recent threads concerning Communion and
alimentary wheat starch, it sounds like a Communion wafer made from
high-purity Codex Alimentarius wheat starch might satisfy both Catholic
law and the requirements of the GF diet.  Although there might be some
very minute amounts of residual gluten in this type of wafer, it would
certainly be MUCH better than even a tiny bit of host made from regular
wheat flour.

Is it necessary for the host to be 100% wheat-based--for example could
it be 10% high-purity deglutenized wheat starch and 90% rice starch?
That would further dilute any residual gluten in the alimentary wheat
starch.

If anyone can point us in the direction of a manufacturer of gluten-free
hosts (perhaps they exist in Europe?), we will check into making them
available to people in the US through our store.

--John Shaw
  Gluten-Free Trading Company, Milwaukee

PS:  Is this also an issue for Episcopalians or any other Protestants?