From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 11:16:16 -0400
On Sat, 20 May 2000 09:17:15 -0400, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
wrote: About healthy nuts:

>Yes, that's probably one aspect, although nuts are still
>relatively low in absolute amounts of protein, relative to
>amounts typically consumed (an ounce or two at a time).

Typically consumed..
If you ate one days worth of calories (lets assume 2400kcal)
then they are high in protein.
For some time of the year it may be possible to eat the necessary
350grams per day. I think !Kung do so (and heat processing the nuts).

>The
>arginine, incidentally, is beneficial because it is the substrate
>of arginine-derived nitric oxide (ADNO), which is now recognized
>to be extremely important for vascular function (This discovery
>got a Nobel Prize in 1998).

Yes, that Ni.O. seems an interesting point. but are these nuts really so
arginine high, compared to other foods? Or others low?
Peanunts (which you reported to have helped your father) have some other
interesting high vitamin too.

>> Are you sure that roasting nuts will make
>> their FA's go trans?
>
>I'm sure that it *won't* do so.

Happy to hear that, although i roast few nuts (sometimes pumpkin seed,
hemp seed, and sunflower).
And I hope they don't get too much damage by a short term roasting.

Erics site brought trans-fats into my focus again.
If not Trans-Fats, heating such essential oils high in PUFAs may
probably deteriorate the PUFAS. The double bindings therein
seem to be sensible to heat damage to... whatever???

I use to roast (if ever) with olive oil because it has few PUFA oils.
But even few heat-deteriorated PUFA molecules may be important,
*if* the outcomeing molecule has a real damaging (toxic) effect.
As it was described from Trans-Fats.

Are Frankenfats not only Trans-Fats, but also too heated polyunsaturated
fats? Has anybody some references, which kind of heat such a PUFA can
bear, and what comes out otherwise?
Anyway, heating fats shouldn't have happened at main evolutionary times.
Which chimp or homo erectus would roast a mongongo nut?
I'll better be very careful with any roasting or heating any fat.

Amadeus S.