GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 01:58:42 +0200
Yaa Soffie, Karamba, and Alpha,

Thank you all for a wonderful job. We can hardly demand more from you given
the circusmtances. Nevertheless, I thought I should add a word or two by way
of suggestions and requests for clarifications:

You wrote among other things that

>...two main aims were set for the Fund:'

> 1. To assist the Families of the massacre victims
> 2. To assist in paying the legal bills of victims of human rights abuse

You are quite right here. But unless I am hopelessly mistaken another
important functional aspect on which our collective efforts must be solidly
based is the need to access  "official" information. Earlier on, it was
thought and hoped that the inclusion of lawyers in any group on the ground
in Gambia would be of tremendous importance in providing hopefully, regular
and up-to-date accounts of what is transpiring at home and what fate befalls
all victims, both those we are able to assist or otherwise. While we perhaps
cannot pose any demands on any volunteers, I think we need to forward a
request to be provided with feedback.

Secondly, you wrote:

> ...It was recognised that efforts from abroad can only be effective with
the help of
> someone or a group of people co-ordinating things in The Gambia. Some
progress
> has been made to that effect, but certainly any assistance from people on
the
> ground will be very highly appreciated.
>
> 1. Financial Assistance to victims' families:
> A letter of condolence was sent to the victims' families and some
newspapers in
> The Gambia, expressing our condolences and informing them that some
financial
> assistance will be forthcoming in the near future.

Of course, very obviously, there is the need for a modicum of organisation,
however rudimentary. While important suggestions came from Ebrima Ceesay and
others as to who could be part of that team, it seems to me that there is
hardly reason to despair in the search for members.
From our end in Stockholm, we thought of Mr. Sam Sarr for very obvious
reasons. As a former teacher of impeccable character, I simply cannot think
of anyone more fitting for the sort of help we want. Eventhough these are
extraordinary times in Gambia, I must also admit that Saul Khan's argument
against including Mr. Sarr in the team are rather strong.

I am thus suggesting that we ask any two of those patriotic lawyers who are
already assisting voluntarily to put up a team including two GAMSU-selected
students and two or three parents. (Two mothers and a father, perhaps, of a
few of those who died. The numbers here are perhaps much less important than
the powerful symbolism of including the victims themselves in this historic
process of healing); and the most obvious place to begin building such a
team is inside GAMSU.
GAMSU seems to me to be best equipped in choosing which lawyers could best
defend and articulate their interests; and given that some of these are
already doing that, I believe that none of us would object to financially
assisting them towards meeting transport and other expenses they may incur.
Perhaps Ancha Bala Gaye can get in touch with them?

Thirdly. Given Ndey Jobarteh's report and request for assistance, an obvious
case of duplicating roles has emerged. Assisting students with examination
and other fees is precisely what GESO has recently done. Is it possible to
liaise with GESO for the purpose of sharing the burden with it?

That will be all for the moment.

Momodou S Sidibeh