From:
Susan Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2000 10:50:17 PDT
>From: [log in to unmask]
>I've looked at the CompTIA site, and I'm thinking of starting with A+
>both because it looks a lot easier than Microsoft's,

I have both A+ and 2 MCP certifications, and for me, I would not describe A+
as being "easier." There are "only" two exams for A+, but they cover a whole
lot of territory. I have heard a couple of people say the A+ was "too easy"
for them to be "bothered with", but I have never heard someone who actually
*has* this qualification..or has even taken the test... say it. I found it
extremely valuable for me. I work in a network environment now and am
studying for the MCSE (my third exam is today) and have found both
qualifications to be very useful, at least in terms of my day to day work.

I would prefer self-teaching, if possible, because
>it looks a lot less expensive.

I was self-taught, and it certainly is cheaper. I like Certification Insider
Press' Exam Prep/Exam Cram series. Transcender practice exams are helpful,
and these books usually come with sample exams on CD. I used these for both
MS and A+. There are also numerous web-based resources for these tests, but
the quality varies.

>3.  Though I still have Win95 on the kids' machine, it looks to me
>like it's almost an obsolete OS.  I have Win98 on mine, and MS seems
>to be treating even that as almost obsolete.  Does this greatly
>reduce the value of the A+ course for someone like me?

"obsolete" could be interpreted as "has been replaced by something
newer"...which to me means a newer OS is available; in this sense it's
obosolete, but this doesn't mean that the old OS suddenly stops being used,
or that you will no longer have to deal with it. I have found it very useful
to know as many OS's as possible, from DOS to NT to Win2k. None of these is
without value, I assure you...yes, even DOS. Certainly you need to be as
up-to-date as possible, but don't abondon the "old" stuff too quickly; I am
amazed at how often it can come in handy.

Susan Sutherland