From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 19:57:22 -0500
From: Brian L. Sanburn :Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Microsoft Certification

Brian,

If your computer knowledge is from beginning to intermediate I would
definetely start with A+ certfication.  A+ Certification is 2 tests, the
Core covering harware and the DOS/Windows test covering Dos, Windows 3.1,
and Windows 95, troubleshooting, installation and configuration.

CompTIA also has a Net+ certfiication which is not vendor specific which I
know Novell accepts in lieu of their network test and I believe that MS is
also accepting it in lieu of Networking Essentials test for MCSE.  From
CompTIA's site "Earning the Network+ certification means that the candidate
possesses the knowledge needed to configure and install the TCP/IP client.
This exam covers a wide range of vendor and product neutral networking
technologies that can also serve as a prerequisite for vendor - specific IT
certifications."

MCSE is 6 exams, 4 core and 2 electives.  You become a MCP for each test you
pass except for Networking Essentials.  Each exam tests the skills required
to install, configure, administer or troubleshoot what the exam is tersting
you on.  Microsofts site has more specific information on each test and
which tests are required to become MCSE:
http://www.microsoft.com/mcp/certstep/mcse.htm .  Generally MCSE's work in
medium to larger complex business environments.  I currently work for small
business and individuals.  I limit the amount of work I currently do to be
at home with my children.   In 3 years they will all be away in college and
I am preparing to go to work full time so I am currently working on my
certifications and volunteering at my local school to help out with the
network for real experience.

CNA and CNE are Novell certifications.  You can check out Novell's site for
more information on each certification but they basically certify that you
have the knowledge to administer, install, configure and troubleshoot a
Novell network based on the test that you have passed.  I am a CNA for
Netware 4.11 which means that I can administer a Novel Netware 4.11 network.
Novell's site is located at: http://education.novell.com/certinfo/ .

CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) is a Cisco certification.  It is
there beginning certfication based on installing, configuring and operating
simple-routed LAN, routed WAN and Switched Lan networks. You can find out
more about the Cisco certifications at http://education.novell.com/certinfo/
.

As to which certifications you should take would be based on what kind of
work you would like to do.  If you have not had any experience in other
areas of computing then I would try and decide what kind of job I would like
and find out which certifications are required for the job you would like.
One of the best ways to do that is to look at the want ads to see what kind
of certfications are required by businesses for the job you would like to
do.

Mary Wolden
> Mary,
>
>         Thanks, first off, for replying.  Now that you've done that <g>,
I've,
> secondly, got a question or two more for you.
>
>         My sense is that "Help Desk" will most likely be a first step for
me should
> I continue on with this and get hired.  This isn't necessarily a problem,
> however.  But, I'm wondering if you would share more about each of the
> certifications you have and the one you're not too far from.
Specifically,
> what does each certification demonstrate you've learned?  How or in what
> areas is each being applied/utilized? In what way is each of these being
> worked out on the job (i.e. Internet, software, hardware, networking,
etc.)?
> Do you consider A+ certification something to be achieved prior to other
> certifications, especially if ones computer knowledge is as I stated in my
> original posting: beginning to intermediate...)?  If so, which ones?  Do
you
> feel it would still pay to earn MCSE certification even though they are to
> be phased out at the end of this year?...even allowing for the necessary
> "upgrade" to W2000 training/certification?
>
>         Sorry for so many questions but.... :-)
>
>         Thanks.
>
>         Brian
>
> < < you wrote back to me... > >
>

> Mary Wolden
> A+, MCP, CNA, Future MCSE ( 2 tests to go)

>                   http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html