Thu, 25 May 2000 03:26:26 +0300
Some times ago it was discussed here about various ways to make
swaping faster.
A one option was to set the virtual memory (in win9x) to a fixed value
(maximum=minimum) and to make the Virtual memory unfragmented.
The fixed size, will assure us that the swap file will not become
fragmented during work.

Another option (taken from Linux) is to set a dedicated logical drive for
that swap file. In such a case, since the swap file is the only file in that
drive, it will not become fragmented.
In the second case, is there any benefit in setting the swap file to be in
fixed length?
Is there a benefit in setting its minimum size to zero (so that it will not
be bigger than it is needed)?
Will windows know to use the full size of the logical drive but not to try
more? Or perhaps we should also set a maximum size.
If the logical drive is on the same physical drive as the other logical
drives, does the fact that the swap files might be physically distant from
the other files, will slow down in swapping?
If we make a fixed size swap file, say 5 times bigger, will it take longer
for Win98 to make the swapping?

Thanks,

Uzi

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: