From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 02:24:02 -0500
At 07:56 PM 3/30/2000 , Earl Truss wrote:
>Has anyone used a socket 370 to slot 1 adapter to use an S370
>Celeron in a Slot 1 motherboard?  Are there differences in the
>adapters that make one better than another?
>
>I am assuming that the terms "PPGA" and "socket 370" can be
>used interchangeably and there is no difference in the CPUs?
>
>I've also seen a Celeron "SEPP" format.  How is this different
>than a "normal" Slot 1 Celeron?

Hi Earl

I'm using two Microstar Int'l. "MSI 6905 ver. 1.1B CPU Converter
Boards" (more commonly referred to as "slotkets") for two 366 MHz.
Celerons in this computer with an Asus P2B-D dual slot one board.

I have one 366 MHz. Celeron in another slot one system with an
Asus "S370" slotket. (The motherboard is an Asus P3B-F.) I got
lucky in that all three of these Celerons run stably at 550 MHz.

 From what I hear, the best adaptor is the MSI 6905 ver. 2 slotket.
This is better than the version 1.1B that I have because it will
work with both Celerons and the new Flip-Chip Pin Grid Array
(FC-PGA) 370-pin Pentium III processors. (Celerons faster than
533 MHz. also come in FC-PGA packages.) Slower Celerons come in
Plastic Pin Grid Array (PPGA) packages. Both FC-PGA and PPGA
packages are compatible with the 370-pin ZIF socket.

The MSI 6905 v.2 will let you set Vcore between 1.50 volts and 2.60
volts. There is a jumper that will let Celerons run on 100 MHz buses
since some motherboards insist on running Celerons at 66 MHz. There
is also a jumper to enable dual processor capability for Celerons.

I see these costing about $25. Older MSI slotkets cost about $18
each. Some cheaper no-name slotkets can cause system instability.

Pentium II and the "slot one" Pentium III processors come in Single
Edge Cartridges. Intel has the following to say about the S.E.C.
cartridges:

"There are several variations to the S.E.C. Cartridge form factor.
They are the Single Edge Contact Cartridge (S.E.C.C.) which has a
cover and a thermal plate, the Single Edge Contact Cartridge 2
(S.E.C.C.2) which has a cover, but no thermal plate, and the Single
Edge Processor Package (S.E.P.P.) which has no cover or thermal
plate. In implementations with no thermal plate, the customer can
attach a heatsink directly to the [package cover]...or die.
<http://www.intel.com/design/packtech/packbook.htm>

Regards.
Bill

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: