From:
Max Timchenko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 21:56:04 +0200
Hello Earl,

19 March, 2000, 19:59:49, you wrote:

>> The Wave Table is used to generate the different "voices"
>> of the music.  Having this table coded into the card means that
>> the data is immediately available.  The PC does not have to
>> waste time creating and accessing the table's data.

ET> Yes, this is the basic reason.  A non-wave-table card must generate all
ET> sounds in software - sending all required parameters to the sound card
ET> each time it needs to generate a given sound.

Non-wave-table != generates sounds in software, explained:

A non-wave-table cards commonly use a FM (Frequency Modulation) chip
to generate the music, and it creates a distinct "computer-like" music
very similar to that produced by cheap 8-bit gaming consoles.
Examples: AdLib, SoundBlaster Pro.

The card that generates the sounds in software is a wave-table card,
but it must use main memory to store the table and have the drivers
and the sounds banks loaded prior to playing any music.

ET> I'm still using a several year old SoundBlaster Awe64.  The SoundBlaster
ET> Live has been on many "best" lists for the past couple of years but I
ET> understand that they are now being replaced by newer models.

IMHO this is good - the card still is of excellent quality, but the
price goes down since it slid off the "best" lists.

+=-.
| Max Timchenko [MaxVT]
| [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
| FAX (413)431-4014               ICQ 2386792
|
| Freelance website and graphics designer
| Visit my site : http://maxwd.hypermart.net
|
| Editor - Graphics artist
| NOSPIN group