From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 08:08:48 -0700
At 04:53 PM 03/07/2000 , you wrote:
>Hello,
>Just wondering if having the source data on a remote drive will lead to
>problems when writing to CD on the local machine. Will network
>interrupts cause hiccups to the writing process?

Remember the success of any CD writer is a matter of the software
application controlling the writing process.  I use Adaptec Easy CD Creator
Pro v4, Nero Buring Rom and CDRWin.  All of these programs have
features that make them outstanding for one purpose or the other.  Each
of them will cache data from one drive to another in a PC, as well as
cache data from across a Network.

If you have an issue with low disk space, the software will cache data
in small blocks, 100mgs or less, during the write process.  That is, it will read
the data from across your network, cache a small part of it and then write it
to the CD.  Once it has finished the write of the data, it removes this small
cache and grabs another block of data for the next write.  Typically, it is best
to have all the data on the same PC as the CD writer, but I have written
hundreds of CDs with the source from numerous PCs on our LAN, (local
area network).

If you are concerned about the data transfer across your network, always
use the test and then write feature found in all popular CD writer software.
Older CD writer software had a great many issues reading data and then
writing CDs, but the three applications I mentioned above and most others
written in the last year or so have solved these issues.

      Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org