NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Susan J. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 May 2000 12:15:00 -0400
I will be going away over Memorial Day weekend, staying in a hotel, and
attending an anniversary party for my husband's aunt and uncle.  This
will be my first trip since January when I found out that my breastfed
baby is allergic to dairy and soy.  (The pediatrician also suggested
that I not eat shellfish, nuts, and strawberries.)  I've been strictly
following a dairy- and soy-free diet, but I've mostly eaten at home and
prepared foods myself.  When eating out, I've selected foods carefully
(mostly plain steak, baked potato, and steamed vegetables or salad with
my own dressing).  I'd appreciate any tips on how to manage 4 days of
eating in restaurants and the anniversary party.  I won't have access to
a refrigerator either.

Regarding social events, what is the best way to handle a party if it
includes lunch or dinner?  Eat first?  Bring food (for just me or a
large dish)?  Talk to the host about it?  I've been invited to a couple
of parties lately and owuld like to go, but don't wish to be a nuisance.
 None of them are given by people close to me who really know what's
going on.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Susan