CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mumpsimus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 22:40:25 -0400
Mumpsimus prior
      There are numerous operating systems which compete heartily
      with Windows ... nothing is to prevent a BETTER mousetrap from
      supplanting the entire industry.  You too confuse words, concepts
      and things.
alister air wrote:
      Name one that's pre-loaded by default on intel-based architecture.

Whether or not one of the competitors is 'pre-loaded' has
no bearing whatsoever as to whether or not Miscrosoft is
a monopoly.  Your fallacy of red herring.

alister air wrote:
     Name one vendor that's pressured OEMs to bundle their browser
     instead of another.

No one is 'forced' to provide any browser with their machine.

alister air wrote:
      Read the Findings of Fact, then get back to me.  If you have not
      read the Findings of Fact, and do not, then you've no business even
      bothering to waste my time.

The Government's so-called 'findings of fact' have no bearing whatsoever
on the reality at hand.  Anti-trust SINCE ITS INCEPTION has been nothing
more than a Political venture.  In this case, those who could not compete
in the market-place paid for the 'knee-capping' we are seeing.

Mumpsimus prior
      Microsoft is NOT a monopoly in either the operating system (Mac, OS2,
      Linux, Unix, etc) .... the browser market (Netscape, Opera, etc) ... the
      Word Processing/Spreadsheet market (WordPerfect, AmiPro,
      QuattroPro, etc.)
alister air wrote:
       You don't understand computing.  Undocumented APIs (Application
       Programming Interfaces) were used by Microsoft to enforce the
       dominance of their own software at the direct expense of their
       competitors.  Once again, read the Findings of Fact.

You have no understanding of reality.  There are no barriers preventing
others from supplanting Microsoft which has no monopoly ... that one
designs THEIR product in a manner THEY choose has no bearing either.

alister air wrote:
      You'll note I've not bothered commenting on your pointless attempts at
       insult.  You're not worth my time.

Yes, this is typical ... obfuscate the issue and the points made, then
run up to your tower in hopes no one will notice your foolishness.

You failed to provide anything which counters the reality to which I have
been pointing.

Mumpsimus
NetZero - Defenders of the Free World