CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 2000 19:48:24 +1200
Issodhos -
> Thank you for the input.  I am especially happy to see that some in the
"down
> under" crowd understand the implications involved in the information
> gathering by the state.

Nice to be noticed, but I'm personally at something of a loss as to why this
should be so. The question of information gathering by the state seems to
be, most of the time, a non-starter here in Aotearoa-NZ. We have our fair
share of those who are paranoid about everything, and those who think that a
photo is the theft of the soul, but no real 'culture' grounded in the sort
of ideas of 'freedom' and 'privacy' that you seem to have in the US. No
doubt this reflects, to some extent, our different pasts, and maybe too the
tradition of suppression and the invasive practices employed by your Govt.
and its agents over the years. Maybe, thus far, we've just played for
different stakes. My personal refusal to fulfil my duties stems from my
inability to recognise our form of govt. as being legitimate - and no one
should yield to the coercive practice of bastards. So much for A-NZ; I make
no attempt to speak for the convicts across the ditch.

Regards

bruce sandford
Hamilton 2001
Aotearoa - New Zealand