CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fred Welfare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 00:45:25 EDT
In a message dated 7/22/99 5:52:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> It's not surprising to me that left
>  coalitions fall apart.

You definition of left is very very narrow.  Why even take up a left-right
distinction unless you are going to align Democratic-Liberal politics with
the left and Republican with the right.  Just how are you defining the
political spectrum?  The meaning of the left during WWII was very very
different than the meaning it received immediately afterwards and obviously
the 60's put a spin on the left-right distinction that plainly made the right
into the left!!!  Even today, in many resepcts, the Republican right takes up
leftist issues by opposing the Administration.  I no longer find the
left-right diffference convincing.  However, I do find the distinction
between the Democrats and the Republicans interesting especailly as their
respective arguments tend to shift
with each new problem.

Fred welfare