C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jeremy Persen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 16:14:37 +1300
On 23 Jun 2000 22:04:56 EDT, Anee Stanford wrote about Pulmonolgy- very
long :

<snip>

> "Aging can bring pulmonary changes that impair breath controll wich in
> turn can make make speech nearly impossible..."
>
> Sometimes that is exactly how I would discribe it--like I can't cordinate
> inhalation and exhealation process that we use to breathe.
>
> I am going to bring this new discovery to their attention at my
> appointments.
>
> So I want to ask all the adults with CP on this list one more time has
> anyone had this type of breathing problem before, or seen it in someone
> with CP? By the way any idea of how many of us adults with CP there are on

<snip>

Hi Anee,

I am a 25 year old with moderate CP, and chronic asthma.  A part of my
asthma is related to allergies, but a certain amount is CP related.  I can
relate to the feeling of not being able to coordinate breathing,
particularly as a child.  Years of practice (in - hold - out slowly - in -
hold ... that brings back memories) have corrected some of that, but my
chest muscles were always weak.  I had a bad asthma attack in 1996 that
landed me in hospital and left me even weaker for the next few years, to
the point where I needed nebulising at least once a day.  The only thing
that broke that was taking up mountain triking (regular mountain bike
converted to a trike).  I think the physical demands of riding forced my
breathing to become more automatic, and strengthened my chest enormously.
I have been riding for over a year now, and have used the nebuliser 3 times
in that period. I still have allergy related asthma, which is managed with
inhalers, but breathing is easier and not as conscious as it used to be.
So, I believe that CP can have an affect on breathing, especially if you
have asthma as well.
Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Persen, Nelson, New Zealand     | Gravity is a myth, the Earth sucks.
Email: [log in to unmask]    |