C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 20:25:34 -0400
Dear Elaine,
I would have to agree with Trisha and Linda to not hold Brianna back. The
first thing I would do is get her to a good neuro-ophthalmologist or
developmental ophthalmologist to see if  there is any medical reason her
eyes themselves may be the problem. The nuero-ophthalmologist is able to
tell whether the brain is processing the visual info. She can have perfect
20/20 vision but it doesn't matter if the brain isn't interpreting the
visual information correctly. One of Alex's IEP requirements ( spastic quad
cp) is that for fine motor and visual learning he must be securely seated so
maintaining balance is not an issue. This is much in agreement of what
Trisha has said. Does Brianna have any IEP requirements such as this. It
really has made a difference with Alex. You  may also want to check her
hearing. Even a minor loss can interfere with sound decoding and reading.
Good luck
Joanne