C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bobby Greer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 13:28:05 -0500
Go get 'em Kimberlee,

        A funny story of mine. A "special school" opened in my town when I
was in the fifth grade. The lady who was principal of the special school
was my older brother's 4th grade teacher and she and my Mom did not get
along. When I wanted to go to "her" school, she made us jump thru all kinds
of hoops. When we went to my neurologist to get certified, I heard Dr.
Helfer tell mom the lady was "crazy as a loon" referring to the principal.
I never respected her from that day foraward and was the worst discpline
case she ever had. Years later when I had my Ph.D. and trained special ed.
teachers, I returned to the school and the school secretary was still
there. She said I had logged more time on the
discpiline couch than any one in the school's history. I wound up hating
special ed and mainstreamed myself into regular high school. I was never
challenged educationally until I got to college. Learning algebra in
college from a retired colonel from West Point is not the easiest way, but
I can still solve a quadratic equation(which helps immensely in payying
builds LOL)

Bobby