C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Exceptional Mama <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 08:43:05 EDT
Hi, all ...

Please pardon the cross-posting!  I seldom ask others to "write their
congressmen" regarding current legislation, but this matter hits too closely
to home for me to pass up the opportunity.  It involves stem cell research,
which we've been following for years because of it's potential to help our
son.

The Stem Cell Research Act of 2000 would permit the use of federal funds to
use stem cells taken from embryos left over from fertility treatment for
scientific research.

These embyros are typically just tossed out with the other medical waste.  So
think of it as the ultimate form of recycling!

Stem cells are a kind of master cell for the body. Depending on their source,
they have the ability to produce many different kinds of cells.  Embryonic
stem cells are pluripotent -- they can become any kind of cell in the body.
(Another source for stem cells is umbilical cord blood, which is also
typically thrown away.)  Scientists hope to use stem cells to produce
tissues, perhaps even entire organs, for transplant.

Without this legislation, research will continue -- but at a much slower
pace.   This research may even help you personally.  Right now, today, there
are blood banking facilities that will store your healthy blood so that it's
stem cells can be isolated at a later time for cell regeneration.  So, it's
quite feasible that you can "deposit" your own personal cure for numerous
diseases (Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, leukemia, cancer, etc.) that you could
contract later in life.  Really astonishing.

Anyway, I could ramble for days on this subject.  What I'm asking you to do
is write your congressmen and urge them to support this legislation.  The
senate plans to argue this legislation before the Memorial Day break, so
timing is critical.

You can find addresses (both U.S.Mail & eMail) at congress' web sites:

http://www.senate.gov/

http://www.house.gov/

Thanks for your time!  Ya'll have a great day!

- <A HREF="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Debi</A>, "Exceptional Mama" to Tucker
  <A HREF="http://www.TheHungerSite.com">The Hunger Site</A> - Donate Food
for FREE
  <A HREF="http://www.InsideTheWeb.com/mbs.cgi/mb1009144">Adaptive Equipment
Exchange</A>

 "Little good is accomplished without controversy,
   and no civic evil is ever defeated without publicity."