BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

BP - "It's a bit disgusting, but a great experience...." -- Squirrel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 14:09:40 -0400
FYI

I attended the two day seminars on curtain wall.  Very good stuff
technically and philosophically.  The best being the open floor
interchange at end day 1 (Monday).  I was puzzled with discussions of
the replacements, including the facade of the BC Electric Building in
Vancouver, in the same breath as "authenticity", especially
considering extensive material, proportion and form changes.  It may
have been the right thing to do, and might be called preservation
only in its broadest scenographic sense, but by no measure any more
"authentic" then Abraham Lincoln's third generation axe.

PSFS seemed fresh and relevant (also read, "new-again") as it was
almost sixty years ago, but I'm sorry those old strong aluminum
windows didn't stand the test of time.  Who knows how long the sealed
twin glass numbers will last.  Certainly not another sixty years?!
And I'm sure there's a lot of the other missing stuff that I wasn't
around to remember.  But my room's view from the north-west corner of
the 29th floor was breathtaking.  It's good to have access, and
stylish access at that, to this fine old pioneer and survivor.

The Rev.