BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "lapsit exillas"
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 13:30:45 EDT
In a message dated 5/16/00 12:11:53 PM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< So, Ken, am I getting the impression that you like such quarry tile
 installations for penthouse roofs? >>

Not the object, only the adventure. I would not put the stuff on my house.

<<Or do you think the maintenance requirements are unrealistically high?>>

Properly done there is little maintenance. Usually the act of maintenance
decreases the function of the system.

<<And I didn't quite follow - do you think the original 1920's installations
meant to allow for "flow through" (captured by a membrane underneath)?>>

I believe in the 1920's the designers and installers understood what is not
commonly understood any longer about maintaining flow. It is the conundrum
that technology will save us, therefore it is a good thing to throw chemicals
at a simple problem.

<<Or is that a later development?>>

I would not be disturbed to find out the Corinthians had this under control.

<<And two inches of mortar in a setting bed - yikes, isn't that a lot?>>

No.

<<And, most importantly, why don't they call it "furnace tile" instead? >>

Heck if I know. Probably not rectified enough to withstand the heat. I
suggest for an experiment that you visit a local tile supplier and ask them
for furnace tile and see what you get.

][<en