AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Audrey Gorman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 10:43:13 -0600
Murray,

I'd like to know more about libraries in the US that provide access for people with disabilities, too.  In the meantime, here are two of the best examples I know about:
The Bobst Library at New York University has very pro-active service.  Take a look at their web site at http://www.nyu.edu/library/bobst/info/disabl.htm#coord

Also, the San Francisco (CA) Public Library has extensive services.  For information, go to their web site at http://www.sfpl.lib.ca.us/www/services.html and then click on "Access."

And of course, in the US there's the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped and its network of regional and sub-regional libraries.  Point your browser to http://lcweb.loc.gov/nls/

Hope this helps!
Audrey

Audrey J. Gorman
Director, Roads To Learning
The American Library Association
50 East Huron Street
Chicago, IL 60611
1-800-545-2433 Ext. 1-4027
Fax  (312) 944-8085
E-mail  [log in to unmask]
Web page: http:www.ala.org/roads

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/18/00 09:09AM >>>
Hi all

I work as the Disability Access Consultant at the State Library of
NSW and we endeavor to provide quality independent access to
the Library's resources and services.

I have recieved a request from another major Library in Australia
wanting to know of  outstanding overseas libraries regarding
disability access and service.

If anyone has any ideas on this and the corresponding Library web
sites I will pass this on, this information will also be useful for me.

Thanks

Murray Spriggs
Disability Access Service
State Library of NSW
Australia

EASI's online workshop on accessible Web design,
Barrier-free Web Design, begins Feb. 22.
Making your Web pages accessible is the right thing to do,
and it is the law.  For information, go to
http://www.rit.edu/~easi and click on workshops.