Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Kenneth Alan Boyd Ramsay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 May 2000 01:11:52 -0400
> From:    Robert Turnbull <[log in to unmask]>

>                        I want to test the lead that is used by the power
> supply for the hard drive.

> I have a volt meter. If I put one probe of the volt meter into the socket
> hole that goes to a red wire, and the other probe into the socket hole that
> goes to the adjacent black wire (and the same for the yellow wire and the
> adjacent black wire) will this give me the voltage readings that I want?

Yes. With a good meter, the readings should be from 95 % to 105 % of rated
voltage. Work up to the scale that gives the best reading for accuracy.

> I don't want to short circuit the power supply (which may be on its last
> legs), but I do want to test it before replacing it. Is this the correct
> procedure?

It would be better to clip the (-), or black lead to the case of the power
supply.  That way there is less risk of shorting the two probes together.
If your meter is a combination volt-ohmmeter or ammeter (VOM or
multimeter) make sure that the meter is set to "Voltmeter".  Digital meters
tend to be more precise than analog.

> If anyone has an "Oh my god!" reaction to what I propose to do, please let
> me know.

That's the reaction if you try to measure voltage with the "Ammeter" setting.
Bang!  Hope the fuse saved it.  :-(

Boyd Ramsay

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html