CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"The philosophy, work & influences of Noam Chomsky" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
"Issodhos @aol.com" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 12:43:28 EDT
In a message dated 5/10/00 8:50:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> You have a great number of multiple / serial killings in your violent
>  country, comrade. What does this do to your statistics... what do murder /
>  suicides do... what of those gunned down prior to capture... what of those
>  who die in prison... of the insane.... There is much to this, comrade, and
>  could go on... and on... but your .001, and your assertions that follow
from
>  it, are incorrect in the case of the former, and premature in the latter.
We
>  will not tolerate this insidious propaganda, comrade.
>
>  Good night.

 Homicide trends in the U.S.
Multiple victims and offenders

"Few homicides involve multiple offenders and fewer involve multiple victims
Homicides are more likely to involve multiple offenders than multiple victims
The percentage of homicides involving multiple offenders rose dramatically in
the late 1980's and early 1990's, increasing overall from 10% in 1976 to 17%
in 1998
The percentage of homicides involving multiple victims increased gradually
during the last two decades from just under 3% of all homicides to 4% "

   As you can see, if we apply what you hoped to be obfuscation
(multiple/serial killings) we have an increase in the total number of
murderers.  If we subtract the high end (4%) of 462,720 victims to compensate
for multiple killings by a single killer we are left with 444,211 which when
divided by the 499 executed murderers still leaves .001 percent.
Murder/suicide is statistically rare, and few murderers are ever "gunned
down."  In short it does nothing to the statistic.

    Those murderers who die in prison (where else should they die?) or are
incarcerated in insane asylums is irrelevant to the apparent difficulty one
has in getting executed in the US -- or perhaps it simply clarifies that
difficulty.  "Insideous propaganda -- new term for reality?:-)
Sleep tight.:-)
Yours,
Issodhos