CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"The philosophy, work & influences of Noam Chomsky" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Martin William Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 08:01:50 +0200
Bill Bartlett writes:
> Martin William Smith wrote:
> >When writing philosophically, if I say a moral is objective, I mean
> >it is the same for all of us.
>
> There's where the misunderstanding arises then. You mean "consistent"
> rather than "objective".

From the Collins English dictionary:

objective: 1. existing independently of perception or of an
individual's conceptions. 2. undistorted by emotion or personal
bias. 3. of or relating to actual and external phenomena as opposed to
thoughts, feelings, etc.

consistent: 1.showing consistency; not self-contradictory. 2. in
agreement or harmony, accordant.

I mean both.

martin