C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 12:51:32 -0400
Hi Bobby,

         I suspect the closer to baseline normal you are the better you
fair. Amber has few problems. Altho , with the higher disabilities awareness
today - the kids are more apt to pitch in and help her. I think at lot has
to do with - 1) the level of disability, 2) the cognitive level, 3) the
ability to communicate and lastly 4) the disabled kids attitude - no one
wants to be around some people just becasue of their personalities. I think
dealing with the disabled is more dependent on our ability to communicate
than anything else.  We are somewhat of a disadvantage when someone doesn't
speak and we don't how to communicate with them. I was ready to tear my hair
the other night with a deaf couple at Hecht's and chosing a sapphire ring.
They only signed - I only speak ( okay - I sign real simply - like monkey -
cookie nothing real). LOL and to show the real the intelligence of all of us
- none of us thought about paper and pen ( you would think they would carry
some) - never-the-less we made it thru - they left with a ring and I went
and wilted in the corner!! I was exhausted - it was mind boggling - it is
easier to wait on someone in a wheelchair. We are kind of handicapped
becasue no one teaches us - non-verbal communication skills or how to
communicate with people who use computer to talk. This should be covered.

                                Brightest Blessings
                                     Trisha