C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 07:02:42 -0400

> She assumed that because I am *physically* disabled, I would not feel a
> connection with her friend or her friend's child.  She said as much when
she
> asked my opinion.  "Remember," she said, "I am talking about a mental
> disability, not a physical one."  I wish to advocate for all our children!
> feel as though we must be a cohesive community, as you have heard me say
in
> the past.
>
> As I am sure you can imagine, I had a hard time composing a reply.  All I
> could think of was the major chasm between our philosophies.  How was I
going
> to bridge that?  >

Dear Universal Grandma Betty,
As part of the Down Syndromes baby village you take the time to teach the
less knowledgable what Trisomy 21 is all about.  Down's has a wide of a
range of disability as CP does. MR also has a wide range.  MR does not mean
a child is incapable of learning but will learn often in a differant and
slower way but learn they will. You can also can educate your cyber
corrspondant on the fine fine points of IQ scores and tests.  Many of the
C-Palsy gang, including yourself, will score much much lower than this brand
new babe because "IQ" scores are often related to how well a person is
capable of using thier body to perform the test. A down's syndrome child who
can dress themselves and is potty trained will outscore Stephen Hawkins
right now on that basis alone. Consider yourself to be a wise elder of the
village whose job is to teach the newcomers the regulations and mores what
an ideal village should compose off.
Joanne