BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"BP - \"lapsit exillas\"" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Pam Blythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2000 17:04:23 -0400
I was just looking at an Oracle reference manual (specifically Oracle PL/SQL
Programming from O'Reilly & Associates, Inc), whilst the fire alarm is blaring
in my ears for the last 5 minutes (Sonitrol is testing the alarms - must be they
can't hear it!!!!!).  The example shows (even non-geeks should be able to read
this):

SELECT
      task,
      expected_hours,
      tools_required,
      do_it_yourself_flag
FROM winterize
WHERE year = :this_year
FOR UPDATE of  max_procrastination_allowed.

There is this author's note on page 177.
     Caveat: I don't want to set false expectations with anyone, especially my
wife.  The code in this block is purely an example.  In reality, I set the
max_procrastination_allowed to five years and let my house decay until I can
afford to pay someone to do something, or my wife does it, or she gives me an
ultimatum.  Now you know why I decided to write a book..."

I wonder if the author has ever heard of BP.

- Pam