From:
Rebecca Goyan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 09:55:10 -0600

Hi!

Just to let you know, the Safeway version of Immodium is gf.  The
pharmacist is able to find out who makes the generic for Safeway and can
then look up the company and/or the drug to determine its status.  In
this case, the company that makes it is entirely gf.  They also have a
comprehensive list for their vitamins too.  I don't like shopping at
Safeway for drugs (my father owns a drug store), but if I can quickly
and easily get information, that's where I'll buy.  For that matter,
since the pharmacist simply looked it up in the pharmacopedia, we would
suspect that most non prescription drugs are in that book, as well as
the prescription ones.  In Canada, this is a great big blue book that
lists the ingredients of the drug and the manufacturer.  It has a
separate section which lists manufacturers who never use gluten in any
of their drugs.

Since the topic of soy sauce has been raised on the St Johns list, has
anybody used the Safeway or Co-op soy sauce?  The ingredients look
harmless - hydrolyzed soy protien, invert sugar, salt, water, sodium
benzoate (preservative)...um, possibly a few other things I've
forgetten, but not things we traditionally worry about, not even carmel
colour to raise an alarm.  Yet I never see these listed on the gf lists,
including the ones I have received from Safeway.  I use it all the time
without a problem - and better yet, it's cheap!!  However, if someone is
aware that it is really NOT okay, I should stop using it.

In regards to the 0.00017 gluten containing tamari sauce, I suspect
0.00017 is %, which would make it 0.017 parts per hundred, which makes
0.17 parts per thousand, or 170 parts per million (ppm).  Again, I'm not
sure what that means - and the question you would ask yourself as a
chemist - "Is that a reasonable answer within the error limits of the
test being performed?"  Also, is the test being performed for gluten or
gliaden?  Is it sensitive only to wheat, barley, oat, and rye gluten, or
will it pick up corn gluten?

I'm leaving on a cross Canada camping trip on Tuesday, so if you want me
to reply or summarize, get back to me before then as I will not be
receiving mail during my trip.  Thanks to those people who sent me
suggestions on where to buy stuff - I can't wait to try that place in
Toronto that makes gf pizza!!!

Becky :)
Calgary, Alberta, Canada