From:
Timber Sales <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 09:04:23 +1000

Hi,

My trip to Adelaide was truly a success from a gluten free point of view.
 One of the highlights that I would like to share with other Australians or
people visiting Australia is the Coeliac Shop of South Australia located
about 6 km from the city.  It is run by three women volunteers who are
Coeliac.  The shop is completely gluten free and has many items for sale.
 Items you can buy in health food stores and grocery stores, but under one
roof.  For sale in the freezer section are things such as pizzas, complete
or just the bases on their own, sausages, meat pies, sausage rolls and more
sweets than I can name.  Homemade biscuits and the much missed "Tim Tam",
clayton version. They have specialty flours for shortcrust and sweetcrust
made by the person who does all their baking.   Granted these items are a
bit on the spendy side, but I thought it wasn't any more to pay than the GF
items you would buy in a health food store. They have cookbooks and a mail
order list so that you can have items shipped if you wish. There address
is: The Coeliac Society of South Australia,  Shop 5, 88 Glunburn Rd.
 Hectorville, SA 5073.  Phone number is: 83651488 and Fax is: 83651265.
 Hours are:  10am-4pm Mon-Fi and 9:30 to noon on Sat. I have no financial
interest in this company, just happy to find a store that can help!

As far as restaurants, we had little or no trouble.  There is a list you
can get from the Coeliac Society with restaurants, cafes and stores
throughout South Australia that are gluten free. I highly recommend getting
the list.  I made our eating experiences much easier.   We mostly ate at
our hotel Centra Adelaide for breakfast because it was easy and I brought
my own bread for toast.  We had a lovely dinner at the Gouger Fish Cafe.  I
showed them my Coeliac card and the wait person was more than
accommodating.  I found that if I showed my card I had no trouble.  The
Central Market in downtown Adelaide has a Coles supermarket which carries a
nice range of GF bread.  Don't miss the Market as there are lots of
interesting food items to be seen and bought.

I found by doing a little research before I went, that it made my trip
almost worry free - food wise.  I would like to thank the people who
initially gave me the info (from this list) and tell them that it helped
immensely!

Leila Buik
NSW Australia