Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 15:32:33 -0500
From:
Judith Daley <[log in to unmask]>

Hi all,

For those that might be interested, I contacted Schneiders to find out
their GF products and this was their response.

Thank you for your email in which you requested information on any gluten
free products that Schneiders manufacturers.  With over 3000 products, it
would be virtually impossible for me to provide you with a detailed list
of every product that is gluten-free.  However, I will try to provide you
with some guidelines you can use in future grocery shopping expeditions.

Currently our `fat free' and ` light' wieners, as well as our Red Hots
and Juicy Jumbo wieners are gluten-free.  On the other hand, our Bologna,
many of our "fresh" and smoked sausages such as Mini Sizzlers, Smoked
Pork Sausage and Pepperoni contain wheat flour or toasted wheat crumbs,
so they would not qualify as "gluten-free".  Several of our sliced meats
are also gluten-free.  Our company consciously tries to formulate
"gluten-free" products wherever possible.  Please note that our gluten
free products are not produced on dedicated lines.  Every precaution is
taken in order to prevent the possibility of cross-contamination,
however, trace amounts may occur.

Reading the list of ingredients is still the most reliable way to
determine the presence or absence of a gluten source.  Here are some
guidelines you can use when shopping for Schneider meat products:

 a) "flour" listed alone always means "wheat flour".  Any other flour
source will be   listed as such, eg., corn flour or rice flour.  NOTE:
"toasted wheat crumbs" and "cracker crumbs" are also gluten sources.

 b) "starch" or "modified starch" is "corn starch".  Any other starch
used will be declared by its source eg., potato starch.

 c) we rarely use "hydrolyzed vegetable proteins", but when we do, they
must be listed as such and cannot be hidden under the "spice"
declaration.  The sources can be soy, corn, wheat or canola.  As we have
been updating our packaging we have, in accordance with government
recommendations, also included the source of the hydrolyzed vegetable
protein when used.

Hope this helps any list members.

Judith :o)
Ottawa, Ontario - Canada