Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 11:42:58 EDT
From:
Jane Winkenwerder <[log in to unmask]>

Hi,

I want to thank everyone that sent me an email!  Here were the suggested
replacement for the Health Valley Bars.  I have not checked into any of the
products that will be mentioned to know if they are GF.  Before you try any
of them, you will want to make sure for yourself.

Just had jennie's macaroons this weekend. They are GF and lactose free.
They are individually wrapped and not too expensive (I think .59/per).
Chocolate and regular flavor. They were delicious, chewy and very
satisfying. Hope you like coconut. I found them at wegman's grocery store.
not sure where else they are carried.

I take Glutano pretzels, mini popcorn cakes, Crunch N Munch, Edward & Sons
crackers for emergency fill ins.

I eat Pamela's biscotti, when I want a cookie.  The lemon-almond (or some
nut)  is really good.

I usually carry around sesame snaps for the same purposes.  The advantage is
they are cheap!  I also have some Glutafin Digestive cookies which are
packaged in groups of 3 and handy to carry around.  Fruit leather is also a
great thing.  (email from Canada)

Have you thought of getting something from Gluten-Free Pantry or Ms.  Robins.
They carry a line of products that will go into your purse.  They have some
good cookies that are imported from England.  Check on the net for Gluten
Solutions, Gluten Free Mall.

I take Planter's Original Peanut Bar with me when I go places.  About the
same size as HV Bars, and very filling.  Some sugar, but mostly nuts.

Boost bars

I carry the Essentials Energy bar.  I especially like the Chocolate
raspberry Truffle and Powerbar has a fast fuel gel that I can carry in my
pocket or leave in the car. Snickers Bars are good also.

Buy some GF rice krispie type cereal and some marshmallows. the recipe is
often on the marshmallow package. Make the Rice Krispie type bars with dried
fruit, nuts, chocolate chips or anything else added.  I put them in Zip-lock
bags.

I live in Australia, so I'm not familiar with the actual bars that you are
referring to, but something that I enjoy eating and are handy to carry with
me are coconut and nut bars. There are quite a few varieties here, such as
coconut and macadamia nut and coconut and almond. They are made by a company
called "Go Natural" but I don't think this brand would be available in the
US. But I expect that there would be some kind of similar bars available. I
buy these bars in the supermarket, but health food shops would also have
some other types I expect. They are good to carry around, and don't break
easily, plus they fill you up - and they taste nice! (cause they're just a
normal health bar rather than "special" gluten free food!)If you haven't
tried EnerG brand's granola bars, they are wonderful.

You could always make your own granola bars.  I know that Bette Hagman has
recipes for them, I think in her first book.  They travel well in the purse
(they are really hard). They are pretty sweet.

Just brought rice crispy squares with us to Canada for 10 days.  They held up
quite well, in suitcase, car, plane, airport, and pocket.  You could make them
more nutritious, with peanut butter, or raisins, or nuts.  Much cheaper too!

Gary Null makes a 'Fruit and Fiber Bar' that is rather good, It is gf.  I use
it for a snack while traveling.  I believe that any Health Food Store can help
you find it.  I buy them, by the box, from The Vitamine Shop - this is a mail
order establishment based in NYC....Call 800 information forthe NYC number and
request a catalogue.

Guess I will make my own rice crispy bars for this trip, since I leave on
Friday.  In the future I will try some of the other suggested ideas.  Would
like to have something on the shelf that I can have on hand for immediate use.

Jane
ND