Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 09:53:24 -0700
From:
Maureen Marx <[log in to unmask]>

So far, any test I have seen for CD is only successful if people have
been eating gluten. Does anyone know of a test or symptoms that are
specific to CD (not allergies) if people haven't been eating gluten. I'm
very familiar with both and how to treat.

My children do not eat wheat, rye, or barley due to significant
allergies to these grains (lot of other foods as well) - Definitely
allergies due to reactions include skin rash, breathing problems, etc.
and can be treated by anti-histamines.  However, I am now questioning
whether they also have CD (my mother does).

Over the last 4 years ( my daughter is 5) I have ocassionally given her
about 1/2 slice of bread to see if she is outgrowing her allergy. Rather
than get less, the reaction to this has gotten more severe over time
until the last time she had diarrhea for 2 days, which leads me to
believe that she may have CD. but sadly may have outgrown her allergy
because there was no exzema.

If I could find out if she and my son had CD, then I would be even more
cautious with them - ex: now if they have sandwiches they sit on the
same plate as my sandwich - definitely would avoid if CD.

I can't feed my children enough gluten to show up a reaction for a
biopsy because they would get too sick from the allergic reaction.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Maureen