From:
Troy and Amy Budreau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 08:28:50 -0500

Recently in a newspaper article they talked about a new bakery being
built near my home called Rudi's Bakery, based out of Boulder, CO.  They
listed that some of the bread was made with spelt grain, which "is a
substitute grain for people who are allergic to wheat".  I checked their
website, www.rudisbakery.com, and under the spelt bread it said that
people allergic to wheat and gluten should check with their doctor first
before eating it.  My question is this--can we eat this or not.  I
couldn't find anything recent in the archives about spelt grain and I
know that sometimes companies state that we should check with out
doctors before eating something when obviously there is something in the
ingredients that we can tell right away that it is a no-no for us.  I'm
just wondering because my local grocery store is going to be carry this
bread and will be a little cheaper than at the health food store.  I
know that cross contamination may be an issue and I will check this out
if the spelt grain is OK.

Thanks in advance!

Amy in Iowa