From:
Mark Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 09:36:52 -0400

I may or may not have Celiac Disease.  My blood tests were
inclusive (see below) and my biopsy was "consistent with" CD.
I have now been gluten free for 5 weeks; after 6 months I'll
have a second biopsy.

I would be much happier with gluten deprivation if the blood tests
offered stronger evidence of CD.  Here were the results:
Gliadin IgA Ab: negative
Gliadin IgG Ab: strong positive
Reticulin Ab: negative
Endomysial AB IgA: negative

From Tom Ryan, "Tissue Transglutaminase Blood Tests",
THE SPRUE-NIK PRESS, Volume 9, Number 5, June-August 2000:

"IgA class anti-endomysial antibodies (AEA) are very specific,
occurring only in CD and DH.  These antibodies are found in
approximately 80% of patients with DH and in essentially 100% of
patients with active CD.  IgA endomysial antibodies are more sensitive
and specific than gliadin antibodies for diagnosis of CD."

I find the "essentially 100%" reference discouraging.  My
gastro-enterologist discounts such statistics, but I'd
feel a lot more comfortable if my numbers were more
consistent with his diagnosis.

I'd appreciate any information which could shed light on my
diagnosis.

- Mark