From:
Dab Steadman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 18:27:06 -0400

Dear Fellow Readers,

First, a BIG THANK YOU to all of you who responded to my inquiry on March
25th regarding safe soy products.  I truly appreciate you're taking your
valuable time to respond.

Generally speaking, SOY is a Gluten-Free substance, but we must be careful
of various marinades (i.e. soy sauce) or additives which may contaminate the
products from our point of view. Also, many respondents mentioned that soy
may trigger a common food allergy  reaction which can cause intestinal upset
, although this is of a different nature than the toxic Gluten Intolerant
auto-immune response.  Below are listed some safe products (per the
respondents) and a short list of useful shopping and informational websites.

ALTERNATIVE MILK DRINKS
Energizing Soy Protein Product (cocoa flavor) by Shaklee Corp.
Better Than Milk (Soy Original & Soy Chocolate)
ALL Pacific brand soy or rice milks
Westsoy 100% organic unsweetened 2% soymilk
In AUSTRALIA:  Carnation Instant soymilk powder and Australia's Own
Malt-Free Soymilk
Trader Joe's stores has a good selection

SOY SAUCE
ChungKing
Bragg's  (at Health Food store)
GF Tamari  "   "     "     "     "
(check ingredients for WHEAT in other brands)

MISO
Miso Master
Miso-cup by Edward & Sons

DESSERT
Soy Dream- all flavors (but NOT Rice Dream)
Tofutti
(always check with manufacturer if rice syrup used)

TOFU
Nasaya
Mori-Nu
Whitewave- organic
Tofu-Pups (alternative hotdogs)
(Tofu should be GF except if marinated or with additives)

TEMPEH
Should be ok, but check with manufacturer

OTHER PROTEIN SOURCES FOR STRICT VEGETARIANS
Westbrae Naturals- many varieties of canned beans
Nut Butters  (almond, peanut, sesame, sunflower, cashew, hazelnut, soynut)
Pea-based protein powder

USEFUL WEBSITES
http://www.fastlane.net/homepages/thodge/MILKALT.txt  (alternative milk drinks)
http://www.glutenfreegrocery.com  (Cecelia's GF Grocery)