VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Matthew King <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matthew King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 13:22:47 -0600
All the discussion of consistency of NFB or ACB philosophy surrounding this
issue is something I find quite thought provoking. As a former member of
both organizations, but not a current member of either, I do not understand
there to be consistency on either side. It seems that all the issues being
discussed are ancillary and that I don't understand there to be fundamental
consistency on either side. I have asked myself the following questions and
wonder what the answers are.

(Maybe these questions should not be discussed on this list ... as
suggested by an earlier post. So, if a member of either organization wishes
to contact me off-line, please do. And, if there is an appropriate forum
for these where the traffic is not unbearable, please clue me in.)

1. Where is it appropriate to use the word "right" in place of the word
"privilege?" Do we have a right to "equal" access to information,
entertainment, etc. Do we have a right to "equal" freedom to be mobile in
our society? I see heavy use of the word "right" on both sides. It scares
me. What if we took these concepts to their logical conclusions and applied
them to a variety of human conditions that are frequently seen as limiting,
e.g., being tall, being short, being heavy, ...? All of these conditions
have costs.

2. How much freedom would we like to have to spend our wealth as we see fit
personally verses collectively? If we, as a society, agree to favor a more
Halmiltonian model with less personal freedom and more collective decision
making, a view common to both ACB and NFB as evidenced by their support of
SSDI just for being blind, then how can one consistently make a
principal-based argument denying DVS entertainment to blind citizens?

3. What principals guide the NFB or ACB in deciding to what extent they
should support the intervention of government in private business decision
making? Is it consistent to support laws that allow suits against AOL's
choice to ignore the blind market while telling the rest of the
entertainment industry they have a "right" to ignore that market? And, does
supporting that type of intervention across the board make economic sense?
If tall people demanded that the auto industry accommodate them with every
model, how would US auto makers fair against the rest of the world? Are we
starting to view equality in the eyes of the law synonymously with equality
in the market place?

(Views expressed herein are mine and not necessarily those of IBM.)

Matt King
Accessibility End User Advocate
IBM Business Transformation/CIO
Phone: (719) 520-3006, Tie line: 8-656-3006
Internet: [log in to unmask]

Steve Zielinski <[log in to unmask]>@MAELSTROM.STJOHNS.EDU> on 04/22/2001
05:03:58 AM

Please respond to [log in to unmask]

Sent by:  "VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List"