VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Steve Zielinski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 00:37:48 -0500
From: Jonathan Mosen [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

This week, Blind Line will air on Sunday at 2200 UTC, that's Sunday at
6 PM
Eastern, 3 PM Pacific. We'll be speaking with Paul Edwards, President
of the
American Council of the Blind. I feel it is important for me to make
some
comments about what this programme was intended to be, what it has
become,
and why.

Originally, this programme was going to be a special feature on the
recent
law suit attempting to invalidate the FCC's rule requiring TV networks
provide some hours of audio described television. While ACB Radio does
of
course broadcast ACB-related material, we clearly state when we are
doing
this, and when we are broadcasting a general current affairs programme.
During the nearly 17 months of ACB Radio's operation, no ACB official
has
ever sought to interfere with the content of Blind Line, Main Menu, or
any
other blindness issues programme. ACB sponsors ACB Radio, and of course
will
quite rightly use ACB Radio to broadcast ACB-specific material. But ACB
has
also recognised the role our station can play in encouraging informed
debate
within the world's blind community, whether you support ACB or not.

I made these points in some detail when I wrote to the President of the
National Federation of the Blind, Marc Maurer, inviting him or a
representative of the Federation to appear on this show to discuss, in
rational and fair manner, the issues surrounding audio description. To
illustrate the culture within which ACB Radio operates, I did not even
consider it necessary to seek the permission of ACB to make this
request. In
fact, I have been told on more than one occasion, ACB officials are
quite
happy to have their positions scrutinised in any such forum.

Marc Maurer declined to appear on the programme, not due to prior
commitments, but because he says he will not appear on any ACB Radio
programme. Of course, that is his choice and he is quite entitled to
make
it. I make this explanation merely to be totally clear that shows like
Blind
Line attempt to provide you with objective coverage of the issues, and
have
nothing to do with any party line. For myself, I was struck by the
blanket
statement that the NFB President will not appear on any ACB Radio
programme,
by implication simply by virtue of the fact that it is run by ACB, with
the
President's Message in the February 2001 issue of ACB's official
publication, the Braille Forum, in which Paul Edwards urged members of
ACB
not to be immediately dismissive of the Newsline service simply because
it
is run by the Federation.

ACB Radio wants to cover the issues that our community is talking
about. We
want to be a place you can turn to for thorough, balanced, objective
coverage of those events. And we welcome any Federationist who wishes
call in and discuss the audio description or any other issue when Paul
Edwards appears on our show. Only through open communication can we
improve
understanding and facilitate individuals making their own informed
choices
about the pros and cons of any issue. ACB Radio will never tell you
what you
should think, and we'll go to great lengths to try to provide a range
of
perspectives so you can make your own mind up as a capable thinking
adult.

So we will talk about audio description with Paul Edwards on Blind
Line, but
we will also discuss a number of other issues to do with ACB's
priorities
and programmes. You of course are welcome to phone in at any time and
put
any question you like to Paul Edwards.

Remember, this show is at 6 Eastern on Sunday evening, on ACB Radio
Mainstream.
        Jonathan Mosen
mailto:[log in to unmask]
Work Phone: +64-6-348-8127