Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 08:10:42 -0500
At 09:04 AM 6/25/00 +0000, you wrote:
>There have been many problems with the BE6, BE6 II and the Highpoint
>controllers.  Both the BE6 and the BE6 II have the onboard Highpoint HPT366
>controller, the HotRod66 is the Abit ad in PCI controller.  Apparently there
>is no consistency on which drives will work with the Highpoint Controller
>and which won't.  One person will have no problems with a Maxtor drive but
>can't get a WD or IBM drive to work.  You might try getting a new
>motherboard from Abit and see if the problems your are having disappear as
>some people have had luck replacing the motherboard.
>
>I have a BE6 with a Maxtor 13.6 gig 7200 hard drive an a Quantum 13.2 gig
>7200 rpm hard drive.  To fdisk, format and install Win98se I had to do it on
>the Ultra 33 controller and then switch the drive to the Highpoint
>controller.  I was not able to run Norton Disk Doctor with the drives on the
>Highpoint controller as it would incorrectly identify the hard drives
>whenever the computer crashed.  Unfortunately this was often, I also
>suffered from slow downs where the computer would not respond for very long
>periods of time but it was not frozen.  I also had random reboots.   I
>finally broke down and bought a Promise Ultra 66 controller for $22.00,
>disabled the HPT366 controller in Win98se, and have not had any of my
>previous problems.  For me the Promise card made the difference.
>
>You did not mention what else is installed in your computer, but for a BE6
>II your PCI slot 5 should be empty, and make sure whatever is in slot 3 can
>share an IRQ with the Highpoint 366 controller.

Mary (and others):

Thanks for the responses!

Just a bit of follow up if I can....

I have the HPT366 controller on this system, not the HotRod.

I have basically given up on the built in controller. With that in mind, I
purchased a Promise Ultra66 controller card to put in the unit. But, I am
concerned about IRQ conflicts in the system. Primarily, this unit is for
video tape capturing and editing. I have a capture card from Pinnacle
systems to put in the unit and it does not like to share IRQs. Currently,
all that is in the system is an ATI Rage Fury Pro 32 meg AGP card
(obviously in the AGP slot). Also in the system is a SoundBlaster Live
Platinum card in Slot 1. So my questions are as follows:

#1. To disable the built in ATA-66 controller, I need to disable the
controllers in Win98. But, it appears as though there is an option in the
BIOS as well to disable it. Does that need to be set as well?

#2. I need to add the Promise ATA-66 card and a NIC (NetGear 10/100). So,
are there particular slots that I should use for this? I am assuming that
by disabling the on-board controller, that will free up one of the IRQs
that is being shared with the PCI slots?

#3. Slots 2 and 4 also share an IRQ as well, yes?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks so very much for all of the help. Maybe I can get this system
working yet.

David Ray

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit
on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting
throats.

   -- H.L. Mencken

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html