From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 18:14:49 -0500
From: K. Karl Kuller :Subject: [PCBUILD] Building Celeron "Coppermine"
Computer

> Hi All,
>     I would like to build a computer using the new Celeron
> 533A "Coppermine" CPU, which is also identified with FC-PGA.
> I would like to use a motherboard such as the AOpen AX6BC or
> ASUS P3B-F with the 440BX Chipset in the ATX configuration
> because I like their overclocking features, and which allow
> the FSB to be set to 100MHz and 133MHz, but none of the
> motherboard descriptions even mention FC-PGA!
>     Does anyone know for sure which motherboard and Chipset
> I can use with the Celeron 533A CPU?  I would appreciate
> knowing.
>
>     Karl            [log in to unmask]

Karl,

I am currently running a 533A on an Abit BX6 rev2 motherboard overclocked to
800 Mhz @ 1.65 volts with no problems.  Either the motherboard (through a
BIOS upgrade) or the slotkey has to be able to recognize FCPGA processors.
Although Socket370 and FCPGA Coppermines are physically identical there are
around 40 pin assignments that are different when compared to the celeron. I
am running the latest BIOS for the BX6 rev 2 and the motherboard recognized
it as a Pentium III at 800 Mhz.  I had to buy a new slotkey (MSI 6905
Master) which recognizes coppermines (I had to select the coppermine on the
slotkey) there is a and a new heatsink and fan, as the coppermines are much
thinner, so the lever on the ziff socket was higher then the chip.  I would
check out the news groups for the motherboards you are interested in and see
if anyone has had any luck overclocking the 533A. You can get more
information from the following sites:
http://www.overclockers.com/
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/00q1/000229/index.html

Hope this helps