From:
Eric Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 19:08:39 -0500
At 08:31 AM 3/29/00 +0100, you wrote:
>My problem is that sometimes when loading a data file into an application
>there is a delay which seems to last for a long time but is probably a
>second or so (the hard drive light is on) followed by what I can only
>describe as a 'clunk' sound and then the file loads.
>
>Should I be worried about this, the sound seems to be mechanical in nature.
>
>Mike Mason

My opinion from experience is that the sound you are referring to is the
hard drive "spinning up" after a period of "sleep".  You see with the
advanced power management capabilities of Windows 95 and up, your hard
drives may be set to go in to a low power mode (or sleep) after a
pre-programmed period of time.  If the drive goes to sleep, it will take a
few seconds for it to wake up and process the data request.

Without hearing and seeing what exactly is happening, this is just an
educated guess.

Eric

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html